A Message From JOHN C. BRAUER, M.A., President and CEO – Aug 2022
Exciting changes and growth opportunities!
Greetings Family and Friends!
Firmly entrenched in the dog days of summer, we’re not letting the heat slow us down a bit. The New Horizons’ staff are engaged in a number of significant priorities, focusing on exciting changes and growth opportunities, including:
- Expansion of our Employment Services department. New Horizons currently serves 385 Members in this department, but there is a tremendous need for more training and employment services, not only in the San Fernando Valley, but in the surrounding areas as well. Our goal— and it’s a lofty one! —is to serve over 2,000 Members per year by 2027. Buckle up world, we’re not only up for the challenge, but are excited about creating opportunities for individuals with disabilities to choose, get and keep work that nurtures their ambitions and dreams.
- Reimagining our Campus. We’re in the process of developing a “master plan” for the NH campus, focusing not only on today’s needs, but also on the type of learning hubs that will take us into the future. This will be a focus for our board and senior leadership over the next year +, and we look forward to sharing our plans and designs with you as they come together.
- Growth of our Community Living Services program. This wonderful program helps individuals with the training and supports they need to live as independently as possible. Our Independent Living and Supported Living divisions of the program are expanding, and we hope to see a 15% growth this year alone. Community living is a keystone for achieving greater independence, and for living a life like yours and mine.
- We’re also expanding our Go4Grocery program. Recently we met with store managers from 48 Albertsons/Vons/Safeway stores who are ready to hire our folks! We are very blessed to have such a strong relationship in the grocery industry with the great opportunities that such a partnership affords to our Members.
- Our newest program, College to Career and More, will launch sometime after the first of the year, and will focus on helping our Members get the college experience. Shortly thereafter, look for information about the launch of our new Culinary Academy, which will have two arms: the first, a general training on food handling and cooking basics, and a second which will help individuals get the training they need to get a job in the food service industry.
- Finally, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that we’ll be celebrating our amazing Direct Service Professionals (DSPs) during National Direct Support Professionals Week, September 12 – 16. Our dedicated team works tirelessly to support our Members in a myriad of ways, and we’re excited to show them the love and respect they deserve. Speaking of which, we’re hiring, so if you know of anyone looking for a career in our field, we’d love to talk with them!
It’s an exciting time to be a part of New Horizons. Thank you for your ongoing camaraderie and support. Together, we’re changing lives.
John C. Brauer, President & CEO