Pathways is a transition program for clients who wish to explore the possibility of transitioning to supported employment and working in a typical job based in the community. During the six-month Pathways program, clients spend one day a week exploring transitions and job opportunities with New Horizons’ staff. During this time clients work three hours each week in a community-based position in small groups (maximum of four). In addition, they attend a two-hour Pathways Job Club, where they learn and discuss their ongoing experiences working in the community.
- Receive an assessment of their work skills
- Develop vocational goals
- Identify barriers to employment
- Learn about appropriate work attitudes and behaviors
- Receive helpful advice on how to become a successful employee
- Learn about applying for a job
- Fill out practice job applications
- Practice interviewing skills
- Discuss proper grooming and workplace attire
- Improve communication and self-advocacy skills
- Build confidence in a work environment
Pathways clients earn minimum wage from New Horizons during their community-based employment training.