CLS – Direct Support Staff
Job Title: MMDP DSS / Direct Support Staff
Department: Community Living Services
Reports To: Community Living Services Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Provides customized, in-person services to Members in a variety of locations. Services include training, assistance, supports, and education regarding service options, rights and responsibilities.
Locations may include agency, residential, and community sites. The services are person-centered and based on the Individual Program Plan and formatted to increase the abilities of the individual to move to a less restrictive and more inclusive program and/or environment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Develops an activity program based on the needs of the Member with the goal of more independence and movement to a less restrictive and more inclusive environment. Assists the Member in maintaining skills that keep them as independent as possible.
2. Develops a task analysis where necessary that identifies all of the goals/objectives as stipulated in the IPP and ID Team.
3. Provides activities and supports, encouragement and advocacy to assist the Member toward more independence and community connection.
4. Teaches the Member appropriate behaviors and attitudes that may facilitate goals.
5. Assists the Member in developing appropriate relationship and social skills.
6. Provides whatever moral support and encouragement, instruction, training, counseling, mentoring, and advocacy the Member may need to succeed toward more independence and community
connection and inclusion.
7. Completes and submits all paperwork and documentation, including timesheets, progress notes, assessments, and services hours, in a timely and correct manner.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
1. Submits documentation for billing purposes by established schedule and deadlines.
2. Attends all scheduled meetings and trainings as directed by supervisor(s).
3. Maintains the highest professional and ethical standards at all times.
4. Supports the Agency’s mission and partners with others to accomplish the mission.
5. Performs additional duties as assigned.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The individual must have a reliable vehicle, proof of vehicle insurance, a valid California Driver License, and a driving record acceptable to the agency’s insurance carrier.
Education and/or Experience
A high school diploma or its’ equivalent; minimum of one year of experience working with adults with developmental disabilities is preferred.
Ability to read, write and interpret documents in English. The ability to effectively present information and respond to questions in English. Bilingual Spanish and English is a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.